Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

Let me start by saying that fall is my absolute favorite time of year. Not because of the weather but because I love the scents, colors and flavors that are associated with the season. Nothing says comfort quite like some sort of warm buttery concoction baking in the oven and filling the whole house with good smells. With spring right around the corner I feel like it's my last chance to bake something that reminds me of the fall. Kind of like a farewell to the cold Chicago weather. Pretty soon I'll be drinking a mojito or four and grilling out in the hot summer sun. The thought of that is pure heaven....summer please come now! Please! The only problem with the HOT weather is the fact that baking just isn't the same when it's 900 degrees outside. So I bid adieu by baking one of my favorite "fall" recipes:

Pumpkin Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping

I got the original recipe from allrecipes.com I changed it up a bit and I love it!

INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped peeled apples (I use granny smith)

TOPPING

1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon margarine

The original recipe calls for all-purpose flour but for a healthier twist I use whole wheat flour. In fact for most recipes I usually use whole wheat instead of all-purpose. It's healthy...try it people!

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and salt. In a separate large bowl combine eggs, pumpkin and oil. Stir in the dry ingredients a little bit at a time until it is well mixed.

Fold in the chopped apples that kinda look like chopped onions.













Fill paper-lined muffin cups about three-fourths full.













For topping, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. I usually throw in a dash of nutmeg for some extra flavor. Mix in margarine until mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each muffin. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Let the muffins cool for about 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack.







"do you know the muffin man, the muffin man...."

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, my favorite baking season is fall too...! Delicious muffins!!

    Now what say we fill the summer with tarts, pies, citrus, and more???

    ReplyDelete