Monday, November 16, 2009

Maple Sugar Cookies & I Love You Martha

Martha Stewart is fabulous. I used to watch her show a lot in the days when I worked retail. I was usually off at least one day during the week and I worked a lot of afternoon/night shifts so I was able to catch her show. I loved to snuggle up on the couch with a cup of coffee and see what lovely and fabulous things were in store. I almost never watch her show now since I work during the day. So upsetting! I need TiVo! But I still have a love for her that will never be broken.

I receive personal emails from Martha everyday. Okay that's a lie. But a while back I subscribed to her 'Cookie of the Day' emails.  I got one last week for Maple Leaf Cookies. I was in the mood to make something maple flavored so it was muy perfecto. But I'm calling them Maple Sugar Cookies because I don't have a maple leaf cookie cutter. But I do have a pig:

Much more appropriate in my opinion

INGREDIENTS

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light-brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff!)
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/3 cup sanding sugar

DIRECTIONS

Mix flour and salt in a medium sized bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a mixer until creamy.  Reduce mixer speed to medium-low and add the egg yolk and maple syrup.  Add flour mixture and mix until all ingredients are combined.

 
Mix Master action shot

Once mixed separate the dough into two equal sized disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Once refrigerated, roll the first disc onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with whatever cookie cutters you like. I used acorns, pigs and pumpkins.

 
 Acorns, pigs and pumpkins oh my!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking oil spray. Lay a single sheet of parchment paper on the tray. BTW...I love parchment paper! I'm going to do a whole blog post about parchment paper I swear.

Evenly space cookies about a half an inch apart on the tray and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven by simply lifting up the parchment paper and placing on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes then brush the cookies with maple syrup and immediately sprinkle sanding sugar on them.

 

I think these cookies are much better the second day. They were a bit hard at first but on day 2 they were nice and soft and the maple flavor was stronger. They're perfect if you're in the mood for a maple treat!

4 comments:

  1. ooohhh you totally should! They are so yummy. :D I made extra dough and froze it so I can have have them anytime I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have a few friends with sugar shacks around here. I see a spring baking project for this year!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends with sugar shacks?! I am super jealous :) I love maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete