Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lingonberry Apple Mojito

To me, nothing says summer like drinking an ice cold mojito and enjoying the sunshine. Mojitos are a great combination of fresh mint, lime and rum. They are tasty! Yum yum! I made a lingonberry apple mojito last weekend but I didn't use actual lingonberries or apples. I replaced the traditional club soda with a carbonated lingonberry apple juice that I got at Ikea. The flavors really complimented the mint and lime.

I'm very particular when it comes to making mojitos which I rightfully deserve since I've made so many. I've actually acquired the title: Pro Mojito Maker Extraordinaire. So watch out! Ha! Now, I don't do it in the traditional way by muddling the lime, mint and sugar. I am not a fan of pulp in anything that I drink so I squeeze fresh lime juice and strain it into the mojito. Follow these easy directions and enjoy this tasty drink:

INGREDIENTS

8 freshly picked mint leaves
2 ounces of simple syrup (recipe for simple syrup below)*
2 ounces of light rum
The juice from 1 and a half limes (strained)
4 ounces of Lingonberry Apple Juice (or regular club soda)

DIRECTIONS

In a tall glass place mint leaves on the bottom. Pour 2 ounces of simple syrup in the glass. With a muddler, smash mint leaves just a little to release their minty fragrance. Pour in 2 ounces of rum, the juice from 1 and a half limes and 4 ounces of lingonberry apple juice or club soda. Mix well and add ice. Garnish with a sprig of mint leaves. Now sit back, relax and enjoy a nice refreshing mojito.


* To make simple syrup just follow these simple directions:

In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool.

4 comments: