Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Illuminations Part II

Everyone that knows me knows that I love candles. I've blogged about Illuminations before. I'm still upset that they closed all their stores. A while back I was feeling sentimental and missing the simple fact that I could drive out to the suburbs and go to Illuminations. I decided to create a group on Facebook dedicated to Illuminations. I think I was really bored that day. As of this post it has 18 members. Whoohoo. The thing is, I cannot find any other brand of candles that smell as good as theirs did or another brand with as many unique scents. I go to Yankee Candle and granted, they have a few that smell good but literally just a few. And don't get me started on they way the Yankee jars look. No offense to any Yankee Candle lovers out there. It's just not my style. I know there are a lot of candle sites but I need to smell before I buy. I loved just being in an Illuminations store. It was dimly lit with candles and tea lights illuminating the store. Maybe I have a strong sentimental connection because I worked there. I associate scents with memories as many people do I'm sure. This is the time of year that I first moved to Chicago and started working at Illuminations. I see things and I can almost smell what I associate with that memory and vice versa.

So my mom just called me as I am sitting here typing. She's on her way to the Yankee Candle outlet store. Yankee bought out Illuminations a couple years before they closed. Some of the outlet stores still have a few Illuminations candles here and there. The last time I was visiting my parents we went to the outlet store and I stocked up on Mulled Wine candles. I think I have 7 of them stored away...shhhh. But I didn't get all they had. So mom and dad are on their way and she wanted to know how many I wanted. All of them pleeeeeeease.

4 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE fan of these too David and they were actually the only candles my mom and I would buy! I am starting to make my own candles...just can't find anything that compares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah there's nothing that compares. That's why I'm so frustrated. Have you had luck with making them? I've tried making my own but I can never find/make scents that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gasp! LOVE illuminations! So sad when they closed. I totally agree I loved how dim it was and candles lit and it smelled so yummy. Christmas tree candle was the best. sigh, so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the Christmas tree candle! I have a small one that I'm saving for this Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete